WINNIPEG — A swastika was spray-painted on the walls of Kelvin High School for the second time in less than a week, in an incident that followed the recent defacing of Congregation Shaarey Zedek synagogue with Nazi imagery and hateful graffiti. Police are investigating, and community leaders are calling for clear condemnation and accountability.
The synagogue vandalism occurred early Friday, January 2, 2026, according to reporting that cited Winnipeg Police confirmation that the incident is under investigation by the major crimes unit.
In a statement reported by CityNews, Mayor Scott Gillingham urged residents to speak out rather than stay silent.
“It’s important that we collectively as a community stand up and raise our voice,” Gillingham said.
Gillingham added that Winnipeggers should confront hate when they see it.
“We should stand up and say that’s not acceptable,” he said, calling on what he described as the “silent majority” to respond publicly.
Premier Kinew Condemns Antisemitic Targeting
Premier Wab Kinew condemned the Shaarey Zedek vandalism in a written statement, saying, “The antisemitic graffiti at Shaarey Zedek was an attack on the Jewish community and on all Manitobans.”
Kinew has also publicly addressed the Kelvin High School incident, stating that hate and intimidation will not be accepted in Manitoba and describing the graffiti as harmful to the broader community.
CIJA Calls For Action, Rabbi Rose Urges Public Stand
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs issued a formal statement after the synagogue was targeted, describing the vandalism as a “vile anti-Jewish hate crime.”
“As the peace of the Sabbath ends, we are deeply disturbed to learn that Congregation Shaarey Zedek, whose roots in Winnipeg date back nearly 140 years, was targeted in a vile anti-Jewish hate crime,” CIJA Manitoba and Saskatchewan Vice President Gustavo Zentner said.
Zentner called for consequences beyond rhetoric.
“Words are not enough. Leaders at all levels of government and authorities must back up their condemnations with concrete action to hold perpetrators accountable and address the sources of hatred,” he said.
Shaarey Zedek Senior Rabbi Carnie Shalom Rose, in remarks shared by CIJA and reported by Global News, urged the broader public to respond.
“We call on all Winnipeggers to stand up against hate,” Rose said. “What’s at stake is not just the safety of one community, but the future of our Canadian way of life.”
In an interview with Global News, Zentner emphasized that the symbolism is intended to intimidate beyond one institution.
“When we see symbols of hate, pure evil, intimidation targeting the Jewish community, we know that this is not only an attack on the Jewish community, but it’s an attack on all Manitobans, on all Canadians,” he said.
Winnipeg School Division Responds To Kelvin Incident
The Kelvin High School vandalism was communicated to families by Winnipeg School Division leadership, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
“In a letter sent to parents Tuesday, Winnipeg School Division superintendent Matt Henderson said he was informed that a swastika had been scrawled at Kelvin High School,” the Free Press reported.
Kelvin High School is part of the Winnipeg School Division, and the incident has raised concerns about the targeting of Jewish students and the normalization of Nazi symbols in spaces where students should feel safe.
Community Context And Investigation
CityNews reported that Congregation Shaarey Zedek’s executive director, Rena Secter Elbaze, described the vandalism as a direct attack on the synagogue’s entrance.
“A lone vandal came on the front and spraypainted the front of our building, on our etched glass window on our front door, and also on the marble,” Elbaze said.
Community leaders have stressed that repeated incidents in the same area intensify fear and erode confidence, particularly for Jewish families living and studying nearby. Police have urged anyone with information to contact investigators as the hate crime probe continues.





I hope you’ll reconsider the use of AI for images. The danger of AI-generated ‘photography’ isn’t just about the technology; it’s about the breach of the unspoken contract between the viewer and the image. For over a century, a photograph has served as a witness to reality. When we use AI to create hyper-realistic images that never happened, we aren’t just making art—we are polluting the well of visual evidence. Once we can no longer trust that a ‘picture’ represents a real moment in time, we lose our shared grip on what is true.
Hyper-realistic AI images break the most important part of visual communication: trust. If a picture looks like a captured moment but was actually built by an algorithm, it’s a lie, not a photo. We need to draw a hard line between digital art and reality before we lose the ability to believe anything we see.